January 22, 2015
Should Women Use Creatine?
One of the most frequently asked questions I get since I have been weight training is do I take Creatine? The answer is yes, I do. Creatine Monohydrate is a naturally occurring substance in animal proteins and in the human body. We produce approximately 2 grams of creatine per day. Creatine is one of the most studied supplements on the market and has been proven to be safe for both men and women to use. The benefits of supplemental creatine extend well beyond improvements in muscle mass and strength. In fact, there is even some evidence that creatine supplementation may positively affect performance during a state of sleep deprivation. Studies have also been carried out that show that creatine has a protective effect for neurodegenerative diseases such as Huntington’s, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s. So, now to the important questions:
- How do I use Creatine?
- Choosing a creatine monohydrate powder is the best choice for first time users.
- How much Creatine do I use?
- Using 2-3 grams of Creatine per day is the recommended dosage for women. Once your body has reached its threshold of creatine adding anymore does not give any additional benefits.
- When should I take Creatine?
- Typically it should be taken 30 minutes pre-workout and 30 minutes post-workout.
- Will Creatine make me bigger?
- Creatine will add lean muscle mass to women, but not in the way you think. Since creatine is an energy source, it will give you the ability to push out those extra reps during your workout so that you can gain extra muscle. Creatine will not work if you just take it and don’t workout!