This breakfast is so easy that I’m a little embarrassed to post it. Did you ever watch "Not Another Teen Movie"? Do you remember the scene where the the girl's artwork is revealed, & the masterpiece was a stick figure drawing? That's how I feel about this post. However, it’s delicious, filling, healthy, versatile, inexpensive, can be prepared ahead of time in bulk, & is great for rushed mornings. It was born out of laziness. I mixed up a bowl of yogurt & pears, but when I went to add homemade granola, I was out. I decided to try adding raw oats & nuts (“deconstructed granola”). I really liked the combination, & have been making it frequently since. I use plain yogurt & do not add a sweetener since the fruit is sweet.Source Credit: This is a post written for moveeatlivewell.com in April 2012. Here is the original article.
Yield = 1 servings
- ¾ - 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats, uncooked
- Grated nutmeg to taste
- 1 pear, diced
- 4-5 walnuts (or pecans), broken into pieces
- Mix the yogurt, nutmeg, & uncooked rolled oats in a bowl
- Add the pear & walnut (or pecan) pieces. Mix well.
- I eat this right away, but you could refrigerate it overnight to let the oats soften if you prefer. The pear will not brown as long as it is well mixed into the yogurt & the container is sealed. If you are making a large batch of this for a few mornings worth of breakfast, pre-portion into containers & seal them.
- Apples & pecans
- Bananas & pecans or walnuts
- Berries & almonds
- Pineapple & almonds
- Your favorite fruit & your favorite nut