These 10 tips will help you to overcome your fear of starting to workout, and get you set up to start exercising ASAP.
Embarrassment and fear related to starting to exercise are among the most common reasons that people delay starting their fitness journey. People tend to be afraid of new things and fitness can be intimidating, especially when it comes to going to a new gym when you are just starting out.
During the pandemic, millions of people discovered the benefits of working out at home. We believe that working out at home delivers the most benefits, and it's the perfect way to get started with fitness as a beginner, because it overcomes the most common fears, objections and embarrassment triggers that people have.
Let's break down the most common triggers.
- I don't know what kind of clothes to wear. When you train at home, you get the freedom to wear whatever you want. We have BodyRockers that wear everything from extra large t-shirts over shorts or leggings, to people who dress up for their living room workouts like they are going out to a fancy gym. Dress in what feels good. When you train with us from home, you make the rules. Wear something that you feel comfortable in. Same with the music. When you train with us, you get to be in charge of the playlist. Put on some music that you find motivating. When you train in your living room it's your gym, your rules.
- I don't like the way that I look. I'm too fat to exercise in public. When you stream your BodyRock workouts at home, you can let go of the fear that anyone is going to see you, because it's just you and the device screen of your choice. You can workout from your computer, television, ipad or even just your phone. You can take us anywhere with you, we will even train with you in the laundry room if that is where you feel comfortable. We can be with you anywhere and deliver a better than gym quality workout.
We would like to encourage you to exercise in front of your kids on occasion (if you have them). Seeing mom and dad workout on a consistent basis is one of the best gifts that you can give your kids. Being the living, breathing, loving fitness example in the home will have a lifelong positive impact on your kids when it comes to their own health and fitness. We all have to start somewhere, and each of us has to find the courage to take that first step.
- I feel so awkward and clumsy. I can't do some of the exercises. Fitness is not a one size fits all solution. There is nothing more heartbreaking than when someone finally gets the courage to start exercising, but then signs up for a class or a program that is way too hard for a beginner. If you are just starting out, you probably shouldn't be paying hundreds of dollars to do a program with the word 'Insanity' in its name. If you are just starting out, or it's been years since you've exercised, then you need a workout that you can actually do and accomplish. Here at BodyRock, we have a number of beginner level workout series that were specifically designed to get you up off of the couch and moving. No headstand pushups yet, no super advanced moves. Our coaches will teach you movement basics and then progress from there. You can do this, and we've got you.
- I'm afraid that I won't know how to use the equipment. The gym is full of machines, weights, bands and other pieces of gear that can seem complicated at first. The good news about training at home, is that you can replicate everything that you can do at the gym with just a few pieces of BodyRock gear. The best way to add resistance to your workouts and start strength training is just to clip on one of our weighted vests. Our vests add up to 12 pounds of handsfree resistance to your movements, and you just need to put it on and wear it while you exercise (we recommend starting out at 6 lbs and working your way up. At BodyRock we create high quality gear that we've designed to be used at home. You don't have to worry about breaking anything, and our coaches teach you how to use equipment safely. There are always options and ways to make it work - even if you don't have the gear.
- I don't have any gear at home. You can get started without any gear, just using your own bodyweight. Mimic the movements and allow your own bodyweight to provide the resistance. If you are ready to add some gear, start with our vest, a set of dumbbells and a pink thing resistance band. We have a sale running with up to 75% off our best selling fitness gear - its a perfect opportunity to invest in yourself at the biggest discount of the year.
- I don't know how to deal with the Change Room dynamics. When you exercise at home, you get to use your bathroom as your very own private lockerroom. Take the time after each workout to congratulate yourself.
- I don't want to have to talk to anyone, unless I want to. While we encourage you to engage with the community, you can be as social as you choose. Our coaches like to hear from you, even if it's just a quick comment to say that you did the class, but how much you participate and engage is 100% up to you.
- What if I don't like it? You might not. A lot of people don't start to 'like' exercising until it develops into more of a consistent lifestyle choice. Not even our coaches always 'like' working out everyday. Focus on building consistency. It usually takes 6-8 weeks to start to notice physical changes. Give yourself the time it takes to start experiencing change. Unlike a gym contract, you can try working out with us for free and pause or cancel your subscription at anytime without a hassle.
- What if I can't workout for a full hour? This is not a one size fits all approach. You don't have to workout for an hour when you are just starting out. Many of our beginner workouts are just 20-30 minutes long. Because we incorporate HIIT (high intensity interval training) with Strength Training, we bring the most efficient fat burning workouts to you in the shortest amount of time. As you build up your strength and endurance, we will start introducing you to longer programs.
This is BodyRock coach Jessie teaching the Introduction to Strength Training Bootcamp from the living room. She's a mother of 3 kids under 10, and she gets how hard it can be to get started again.
- I don't know where to start. We have a lot of programs to choose from, and that can be intimidating. We suggest that you start with:
1. Introduction to Strength Training - 5 x 25 minute workouts.
2. Introduction to HIIT - 5 x 25 minute workouts.
3. The Beginner Bootcamp. 30 x 30 minute workouts.
We are adding new series on a regular basis, and have a lot of beginner options. You can always reach out to our friendly customer care agent Kristen if you need any help getting started. You can get started with us for free with a 7 day free trial. Come and workout with us. Give training from home a chance. Let us help you get in the best shape of your life. You can do this, and we've got you.