If you’re looking for seriously nutrient packed energy to prep for or recover from an intense workout — or just a super delicious (and healthy) side dish to wow the gustorial and visual senses of friends and family, then you’ve got to try our Bloody Mashed potato recipe. Made with just a handful of ingredients, this recipe brings to bear the many perks of potatoes (high in vitamin C, potassium, a good source of B6, and rich in magnesium, fibre and antioxidants) with the insane health benefits of beets.
Beets have been shown to improve blood pressure, support brain and heart health, fight inflammation, improve athletic performance, and are a great source of free-radical fighting (and chronic disease fighting) antioxidants. What's more, studies show that beets can help you lose weight. In addition to being low in calories and fat, beets are also relatively high in fibre and protein, which can contribute to feeling fuller, longer and eating less extraneous calories.
Ready to dive in to this sumptuous side dish?
Here’s what you’ll need:
(Makes 4 servings)
- 4 large potatoes (can swap in sweet potatoes in part or fully for a lower GI option)
- 3 medium beets
- ¼ cup organic grass fed butter
- ½ cup milk (dairy, nut or soy)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Place beets (with skin) in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover them. Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice to keep beets from bleeding.
- Boil for around 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain water, rinse with cold water and then allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Then, peel the skin with your hands. It will be easy to do.
- Now, the potatoes. Cut them into quarters. You can boil them at the same time as your beets, or start them while your beets cool. We love leaving the skin on our potatoes to really get a healthy dose of fiber — just be sure to wash them well, first. Boil the potatoes for around 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain water. Add peeled, boiled beets and boiled potatoes to same pot. Add butter, milk, garlic and salt and pepper. Mash well.
Enjoy!Looking for more amazing meal ideas just like this one? Check out our NEW nutrition guide and meal plan. Packed with 70+ recipes and hundreds of healthy eating hacks, this ebook will help you eat to support your best body — and best life.