We’re never disappointed by the BodyRockers inour #FitFam. That’s why, every week, we’re stoked to be able to share their stories of triumph with you. It’s not just triumph over the battle of the bulge, either. In fact, just about any one of these people would tell you fat loss only one of the many perks of getting fit with BodyRock. Fat, after all, is just something you have, like brown hair or blue eyes or an embarrassing photo in your high school yearbook. Fundamentally, it has nothing to do with who you are — and that’s what getting healthier helps you uncover. The real you. The strong you. The confident AF you.
It’s a process, and it’s far from perfect, but we’re honoured to be a part of it for all of our FitFam— and today, we’re thrilled to introduce you to two of them.
I made the decision to change my lifestyle on October 1st 2013. I had recently gotten married and I had packed on some weight. I weighed over 200 lbs. Completely unhealthy. I joined a gym during a 16 week free program they were having. I never really learned anything from them. I lost interest in that and I was stuck with a contract for three years. It was a nightmare trying to get out of that. I tried a couple other at home fitness programs. Again, didn't learn much from them. I lost a lot of money that's for sure! I got minimal results and I was getting depressed and frustrated. Then about three years ago, I was scrolling through Instagram and I found Lisa and BodyRock I turned a spare bedroom into a home gym, started investing in equipment and I have been a loyal BodyRocker since that very day I found BodyRock on Instagram. 90% of my results came fromSweatFlix and BodyRock. The other 10% came from my previous efforts before BodyRock. Thank you!
I started my fitness journey with BodyRock in May 2017. It’s been a very hard but an amazing journey! Today, my fitness routine looks like this: Monday to Saturday, I do theHIITMAX lives. I always do full body on Monday and Friday, then one day is for lower body, one day upper body, one day abs and one day is bodyweight. I also eat super clean! My biggest challenge to this day? Probably my glutes!
Are you a BodyRocker who wants to share her or his story with us? We’d love to hear it! Submit your stories to email@example.com.
But first! Are you a member of ourBodyRock Insider’s Group on Facebook? If not, now’s the time to join. This is where our FitFam convenes to talk shop, asking questions and receiving advice on fitness, nutrition and life in general.
Due to COVID-19, shipping systems the world over are experiencing abnormal delays. There is an enormous demand on postal and delivery services as online shopping has skyrocketed, due to store closures and stay-at-home mandates. This is an unprecedented situation, and we are working around the clock to fulfill your orders as quickly as possible. To be clear, we are filling orders in 2-3 days, and we are shipping immediately after that. Once shipped, our shipping partner, UPS, will get your order out to you as quickly as possible. Thanks for your support and understanding.
We want you to start your fitness journey with us as quickly as possible, that’s why we send every package to the USA & Canada via expedited or standard shipping with our partners at UPS. Once your order is received and processed, it typically takes 2-4 days to get to you once it leaves our warehouse. That’s our commitment and we stand by it.
We ship within Canada and the United States via UPS with Standard & Expedited shipping (whichever is faster)
For locations outside of the US and Canada, we ship using FedEx International (EUROPE and Other Nations), which is usually in transit for 7-10 business days, depending on location.
We ship all of our physical products with UPS, from our warehouse location in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Delays caused due to custom withholds are not included in these estimated delivery times.
We offer a 30-day return policy, as long as: it is not more than 30 days past the date of delivery; and your item is in its original condition and packaging with the original order number. Refunds will be issued when the equipment is received back to the BodyRock warehouse, minus the original cost of shipping, and the customer is responsible for the costs of return shipping. To request a refund on physical product purchases, please contact us.
We cannot issue refunds on digital goods such as e-books or videos, as these are non-tangible goods that are irrevocable once the order is placed.
All of the BodyRock clothing is made to order and so is final sale. If you have any questions about sizing prior to placing your order, please contact us.