Nothing calls to mind the culinary sense of the holiday quite like comfort fused infused with seasonal sentiment. Enter: chestnut stuffed mushroom caps! These apps are not only tummy warming and delicious, but the chestnuts are a good source of vitamin C, B1, B2 and B6 — all which can contribute to a healthy immune system. And those mushrooms? If you expose them to some sunlight before you eat them, you can bolster your levels of mood enhancing, heart healthy vitamin D, which we often need during the winter months when we spend more time indoors.
Chestnut Stuffed Mushroom Apps
Makes approx 3 servings
Fat: 5 grams
Carbs: 6 grams
Protein: 6 grams
- 1 pound white mushrooms, with stems chopped and out aside (bigger mushrooms will be easier to stuff)
- 1 cup finely chopped leeks
- 1 cup finely chopped roasted chestnuts
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 ½ cups goat cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Salt to taste
Directions: (For roasted chestnuts)
- Preheat oven to 450 ° F
- Cut an X into the rounded side of each chestnut.
- Place chestnuts on a baking sheet, X side up.
- Put ½ cup of water on sheet.
- Place in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the X opens.
- Remove & peel the chestnuts while warm, though not too hot to handle.
- Chop chestnuts for use in mushrooms.
Directions: (For stuffed mushrooms)
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F.
- Use a large skillet to sauté leeks, chopped mushroom stems and oil for 3-5 minutes over medium heat.
- Mix in chestnuts, apple and cinnamon. Stir together and continue to heat for 3 minutes.
- Take pan off the heat, add the cheese and mix well.
- Using a small spoon, place stuffing into the mushroom caps.
- Place stuffed caps onto a lined metal baking pan & bake for 30-35 minutes.
Want more amazing, healthy recipes like this one? Grab our new meal plan & nutrition guide. Featuring over 70 meal and snack ideas, this is the perfect holiday gift for the person on your list who wants to live a healthier life this season, and beyond. (Or, just buy it for yourself! The 12 Days of Giving event is on now!)