Moroccan Chicken Skillet
What is better than a one-pan meal? A one-pan, low-calorie meal!
About this dish: Moroccan cuisine provides one of the most exotic series of flavors you can imagine, if you're from North America (or anywhere that is not Persian.) The entire country has a sweet tooth BUT these dishes are not "just" sweet...they are rich with hearty, nuanced spices. Nutty, savoury with more than a touch of sweetness: this dish will surprise you with its richness but also keep you feeling full and satisfied for many, many hours.
Per One Serving: 427 calories, 44 grams protein
- 8 oz Chicken breast (about 2 small breasts)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive oil
- 2 Cups Cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 Cup Carrot, sliced (about 1 large carrot)
- 1/2 Cup Sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (or 3 sticks of Cinnamon)
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Ground Allspice
- 3/4 Cup Orange juice (not from concentrate)
- 1/2 Cup Organic Crushed tomatoes
- 2 Medjool Dates, sliced
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro, minced + additional for garnish
- 2 Tbsp Roasted Almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 A small cucumber, thinly sliced
1. Using a meat mallet (or a rolling pin) pound out the chicken breasts until they are flat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet on medium/high heat. Cook the chicken breast until golden brown, about 1-1.5 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side. Transfer to a plate.
3. Turn the heat down to medium and add the cauliflower, carrot, onion, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, and Allspice to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the veggies just begin to soften and the spices are fragrant, about 3 minutes.
4. Stir in the orange juice, crushed tomatoes and sliced dates. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce begins to reduce and thicken, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Place the chicken back into the pan, nestling it into the veggies and spooning some sauce over top. Cover and reduce the heat to medium/low. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes. 6. Stir in the cilantro and divide the chicken between two plates. Top each with the chopped almonds and place the sliced cucumbers on the side.
Want to be notified of these recipes? Sign up now for our Food Emails every Sunday!
Do you love this recipe? If yes, you may want to pick up a copy of our Meal Plan and Nutrition Guide, a 3 part series of ebooks that provide you with a: 1) 30 Day Meal Plan, 2) Complete Recipe Book and 3) Nutrition Guide, so you can understand once and for how to lose weight without sacrificing taste or feeling full and happy!