This classic chili gets an extra protein boost from quinoa. Yum! It's far more lean than your typical chili, with turkey instead of beef or pork.
Per One Soup Bowl Serving: 390 calories; 30 grams protein
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1½ lb Lean Ground Turkey
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Red Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 lb Sweet Potatoes, cubed
- ¼ cup Uncooked Quinoa
- 1 (15-oz) can Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz) can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz) can Tomato Sauce (or tomato "puree")
- 1 can Corn nibblets (optional)
- ½ cup Low-Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
Note that the cheese, chips and corn will add another 100-200 calories to your meal easily. Use in moderation if you're on a mission!
- Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream
1. Pre-Cook Turkey: (Do this up to 3 days in advance and refrigerate the turkey until you're ready to start the slow cooker.) Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add turkey, chili powder and cumin and continue cooking until turkey crumbles and is no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
2. Slow Cook Chili: Combine cooked turkey and all remaining ingredients (through the toppings). Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
3. Serve with toppings of choice!
Love this recipe? Haven't signed up yet for our emails? We make sure to drop a food recipe in your inbox at least 2 times a week, and a Meal Prep recipe every Sunday.