Meal Prep day! This is a delicious meal to put in the fridge, as it's even better the next day after all the flavors have mingled together overnight. If you like your meals to have a little bite to them, this colorful, fragrant dish is the one for you!
Per One Serving: 402 calories; 15.9 grams protein
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup dry red lentils, thoroughly rinsed in cold water + drained
- 1-2 tbsp coconut sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric, plus more to taste
- optional: 1/3 cup light coconut milk
1. Thoroughly rinse lentils in a fine mesh strainer and set aside.
2. Heat a large rimmed skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add coconut oil, garlic, ginger, and carrots. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add curry paste and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add tomato paste, vegetable broth, water and stir to combine. Then add lentils, coconut sugar, turmeric, and stir.
5. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat slightly to low (or medium-low), and gently simmer for 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir frequently to incorporate flavors, and add more vegetable broth as needed if the mixture becomes too thick.
6. An optional (but recommended) step: stir in coconut milk for additional creaminess, and to balance the heat of the curry paste.
7. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more turmeric for depth of flavor, coconut sugar for sweetness/flavor balance, or a pinch of salt for saltiness.
8. To serve, divide brown rice (optional) and lentils between 2-3 serving bowls and garnish with cilantro, pickled onions, and pita or naan for dipping (optional).
9. Store leftovers separately in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop, adding water as needed for moisture, or in the microwave.
*To make quick pickled red onions, add 3/4 cup warm water, 1/2 cup red wine or apple cider vinegar, 2 Tbsp organic cane sugar, and 1/2 tsp sea salt to a mason jar and seal tightly. Shake to combine/dissolve sugar. Then add 1 small red onion (110 g), thinly sliced, and shake. Set in refrigerator to "pickle" for at least 15 minutes, preferably 30 minutes. Will keep for 1 week.