It's Sunday and you're looking for some recipes to parcel out for weekday meals! You don't always have to look to chicken and fish as your source of lean protein! Legumes such as black beans are an excellent choice: they will fill you up and also provide you with the fibre boost you need to keep things moving through your guts.
This recipe includes lime juice, which is packed with immune boosting vitamin C, and red pepper (which speeds up your metabolism) and radishes (excellent anti-oxidants). The splash of cider vinegar, among other properties, will make you feel full so you don't eat too much.
1 cup brown rice
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, chopped
2 (15 oz) cans black beans
1 can vegetable broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
4 radishes, sliced
1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
To taste salt & pepper
1 lime cut into wedges
Optional: Garnish with grilled pineapple slice
1. Cook rice according to instructions on package
2. Meanwhile, heat oil over medium-high heat. add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper.
3. Cook until vegetables soften, about 5-7 minutes. 4 .Add beans, broth, cumin, oregano and vinegar.
5. Cook until slightly thickened, about 6 to 8 minutes.
6. Smash some of the beans with the back of a spoon to get stew consistency.
7. Serve over rice.
8. Top with radishes, cilantro and lime.
Love this recipe? Pick up a copy of our Plant-Based Vegan Guide which is chock full of delicious recipes that offer alternatives to meat! Right now it is 50% off, and our sitewide Summer Sale gives you an extra automatic discount on top of that!