Most of us who are looking for a healthier, grain-free pancake have tried the banana-based variety — and they’re pretty damn good. In fact, the banana pancakes are one of the most popular recipes in our new BodyRock ShredFast Intermittent Fasting Guide (which you can get now for $30 off when you use the promo code FASTED.) This said, it’s always great to switch things up, which is why we tried out a new pancake variation: a delicious variation, and a variation that’s even lower in natural sugar. We’re talking about pumpkin pancakes, FitFam, and they’re amazing.
Pumpkin Pancakes: Simple, Clean, Delicious
This recipe calls for exactly eight ingredients, and you should have all of them on hand already, especially if you follow a clean or Paleo diet. You’ll need the pancake basics like eggs, cinnamon, baking powder, and maple syrup, but this recipe also calls for almond meal and coconut flour. The piece de resistance is the pumpkin puree, which is a fantastic substitute for the traditional bananas. That’s it, that’s all! Of course, except for your toppings. Try raw nuts, berries, almond butter, coconut shavings, or dark chocolate drizzle. Or just enjoy as they are ‘cause they are definitely delicious enough on their own.
Pumpkin is chock full of goodness. Full of fibre, which keeps you feeling full for longer, pumpkin is actually super low in calories too. With less than 50 calories per serving, pumpkin is a healthy addition to any recipe. A cup of pumpkin comes with over 200% of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin A, not to mention antioxidants, Vitamin C, and beta-carotene. Need we go on? Plus, pumpkin is delicious, giving these pancakes a savoury, rich filling that won’t have your sugar levels spiking.
Why this Recipe?
No one wants to start off the morning with a complicated, hour-long process to make pancakes. This healthy recipe is also super easy to follow, and takes a total of 25 minutes for hot, steaming pancakes to land on your plate (including prep time!). You don’t need any special ingredients on hand that you’ll never use again, even the pickiest of kids will love them, and you can follow a clean diet while still eating pancakes.
Grainless Pumpkin Pancakes
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Whisk the eggs together in a medium bowl.
- Add in pumpkin puree, maple syrup and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add all dry ingredients and mix again until mixture thoroughly combined.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat — and not any higher! These pancakes are amazing, but finicky, and will not cook properly if you rush things. Spray with cooking spray. When the skillet is hot, spoon 1/4 of the batter onto the skillet, using the spoon to spread the batter so everything is even.
- Cook on the first side for about 3-5 minutes or until cooked enough to flip. Flip the pancake carefully with a spatula. Cook on the other side until cooked thoroughly. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat until all pancakes are cooked.
Pro Tip: Double or triple up the batter to make enough to freeze for later. After all, meal prep is a cornerstone of successful fat loss and weight maintenance. And remember: our ShredFast Intermittent Fasting Guide is $30 off, so it’s a great time to start making the changes you need to live a healthier, leaner life. Just use the promo code FASTED.