Full of crunch and flavor, you won't even miss the meat in this vegetarian classic! Seriously packing a punch, you'll remember the whole '90s "it's a party in my mouth!" Go on, dance around the kitchen! Embarrass your kids! These are worth it.
Per One Serving: 194 calories |14 grams protein
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 (12 to 14-ounce) package extra firm tofu (do not use silken)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (omit if sensitive to spice)
- 4 green onions, finely sliced, divided
- 8 large inner leaves romaine lettuce (from a romaine heart) or butter lettuce leaves
* Optional for serving: Grated carrots, green onions, diced tomato, and/or additional red pepper flakes
1. In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
2. Press the tofu between paper towels to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Refresh the paper towels and press again. Heat the 2 teaspoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Once the oil is hot, crumble in the tofu, breaking it into very small pieces as it cooks. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, then add the diced mushrooms. Continue cooking until any remaining tofu liquid cooks off and the tofu starts to turn golden, about 3 minutes more. Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and half of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
3. Pour the sauce over the top of the tofu mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until you hear bubbling and the sauce is warmed through, 30 to 60 seconds. 4. Spoon the tofu mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Top with remaining green onions, grated carrots, and additional red pepper flakes as desired. Enjoy immediately.
This recipe is inspired by the BodyRock Meal Plan. Think healthy food is boring? Nope! Think your family won't love these recipes? Also nope! We have glowing reports from Moms and Dads, who have lost 10-20 lb in the first month and rediscovered their joy of cooking in the process!
Pick it up today, it's half off right now! PLUS you can even use the code MEALPLAN20 to get an additional 20% off!