Most people who are relatively new to plant-based eating have stumbled across some great sounding vegan baking recipe to wonder, what is aquafaba?Even if you've been vegan for a while, you may not know what aquafaba is--especially if you don't do much baking. But aquafaba is a wonderful, if undersold, vegan egg substitute that has the binding and emulsifying properties of egg, but without the animal by-product.
What is aquafaba?Aquafaba is the liquid from canned of chickpeas). When baked, the bean-taste disappears.
To use aquafaba, all you need to do is whip the liquid a bit so it thickens to the consistency of an egg, and substitute 3 tablespoons of aquafaba for one whole egg, or 2 tablespoons for 1 egg white.
Ready to give it a go?Try this delicious vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe that uses aquafaba. If you love it (which trust us, you will), grab our Plant-Based Vegan Guide for more on vegan nutrition, cooking and baking. In addition to answering questions like, what is aquafaba, this comprehensive (and super affordable) guide will help you make the leap to a leaner, greener life with the help of some seriously delicious meals, desserts and snacks. They're easy to make, and easier to love.
BodyRock Aquafaba Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 12 cookies. 1 serving = 2 cookies.
2 tbsp solid coconut oil
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
3 tbsp whipped aquafaba
2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Stir together all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together all the wet ingredients. Mix well and then pour it into the dry ingredient bowl.
- Mix well.
- Spoon dough onto a cookie sheet so they are about 2 inches apart. Press down on top of the dough with a fork to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 9 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy! Cookies that are not devoured immediately can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or put in the freezer to enjoy at leisure.
Calories: 74 Calories